Sunday, April 12, 2009

Kristan Higgins-Too Good to Be True

    The Banditas are thrilled to welcome Kristan Higgins back to the Lair!

    How are you doing Kristan?

    Oh, I'm fine, Joan! Very happy to be back with the Banditas!

    I am such a fan of your books. Tell us, what spurred you to write such wonderful, witty stories?

    I take it we're saving the hardball questions for later...Glad you like them...and thanks for calling them wonderful and witty. I think the reason I chose to write my particular style of rom-com was, in a nutshell, that's what I liked to read. There's something really wonderful about reading a book with a big, memorable love story and thinking that's the kind of thing that could happen to you. Sure, it's fun to picture us being a billionaire or an Oscar winner or shagging...er, dating an NFL superstar...I like to read that type too, for a nice bit of escapism. But I felt that us normal gals deserved a big love story, too.

    Many of us do write what we love which is sometimes the harder road to take. What are your thoughts on writing to the market?

    Welp, let's see...I don't know. Just after I sold my first book, a first-person romantic comedy, I learned that first person was a cardinal sin and romantic comedy was dead. My beloved publisher has offered me contracts for a total of six ro-cos (all in first person, mind you), so I don't really know what to say about the market. We writer folk have to keep in mind that what's in the bookstores now was bought two or more years ago. I think writers have to write what they're good at, what speaks to them, what they can best convey. And what they love, because if you don't love your story, it's gonna show.

    Ok, I’m going to step off the beaten writer’s path for your next question. Some of the Banditas {looks quizzically around the Lair} are crazy for “Dancing with the Stars”. Which dance are you most like?

    Passe doble, baby! Remember that movie, Strictly Ballroom? Gawd, I loved that flick! Also, the one with Antonio Banderas...well, anything with Antonio Banderas. The truth is, I don't watch Dancin' with the Stars regularly, but Joan emailed me the other night, saying she was rooting for Gilles, and I clicked on it. Gilles just happened to be dancing, and I froze, quivering with lust. Am now considering having his name tattooed somewhere on my person.

    LOL. I liked Antonio Banderas as “Puss…in boots” 

    So aside from “I Heart Gilles”, what type of tattoo would you get, if….yanno….you wanted one. Would you get one of Buttercup? 

    I've thought about getting an NY tattoo in honor of my beloved Yankees...or maybe just "2" for dear Derek Jeter, bless his brawny heart. But the truth is, having something permanently stained into my skin...I don't think I can do it. Say I got a butterfly...what would that poor bug look like in 40 years, all wrinkly and stretched out? So I'll have to pass. Sorry, Derek.

    My favorite Shrek moment...some gorgeous creature says to Puss, "Are you Shrek?" and he looks up from licking himself and says, "I could be." I just about fell out of my chair on that one.

    Hmmmm….Derek Jeter. Not to shabby on the hero image side.

    To steer this back to the writing life, what things besides cheering on the Yankees and watching animated movies helps to stir the creative juices?

    I like to visit the settings of my books. Taking walks helps me a lot, as does driving in the car. But the truth is that writing books is hard! Most of my work is churned out in front of the computer. There's no muse floating down with a cappuccino and whispering advice. Unfortunately. This is the toughest job I've ever had. And the best!

    Our guests get many questions so how about we turn the tables. What would you, Kristan Higgins like to ask the Banditas and BB’s?

    My question for you lovely Banditas is...What makes a great story for you? Do you like the unexpected or boundary-pushing books, or are you more satisfied with the perfect delivery of a "classic" type of story? Is is the characters or the set-up? What are some books that just struck you as damn near perfect?

    Kristan will be selecting one lucky commenter to win an autographed copy of her latest HQN title "Too Good to be True"



    Source URL: http://plasticsurgerycelebrities.blogspot.com/2009/04/kristan-higgins-too-good-to-be-true.html
    Visit plastic surgery celebrities for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive