Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Have a Laugh with Charlotte Hughes!

    by Anna Sugden

    How many authors can make you laugh out loud? For me, there are very few. One who manages to do so regularly, is our guest today, Charlotte Hughes.

    Award winning author Charlotte Hughes began her writing career publishing newspaper and magazine articles before becoming a New York Times best selling author. Charlotte makes her home in Beaufort, S. C. Best known for her FULL series with Janet Evanovich, she has written over 40 books, ranging for the 3 mysteries she wrote for Avon to Mira’s HOT SHOT. Her newest release, NUTCASE centers on Atlanta psychologist Kate Holly and the humorous antics of her friends, family and patients. In the process she learns that the life of a psychologist is enough to drive anyone nuts. You can visit Charlotte online at http://www.readcharlottehughes.com/, where she also blogs.

    I'm delighted to be able to welcome Charlotte, and promise not to be too much of a fan girl about her fabulously zany Kate Holly series (which also includes a sexy fireman!) - if you haven't had a chance to read What Looks Like Crazy or Nutcase yet, you must! You won't be disappointed!

    We’re so pleased you could join us, Charlotte. Grab your favourite cabana boy, hockey hunk or gladiator and make yourself comfortable!

    Thanks Anna, and Banditas. It's good to be here.

    The Amazon pigeon finally brought my copy of the second book in your Crazy series, Nutcase - YAY! For those who haven’t read What Looks Like Crazy (why not?!), can you tell them a bit more about this fabulously funny series?

    The series is about a female psychologist, Kate Holly, and her crazy family, friends, and patients. As I state on my website, it’s irreverent and politically incorrect, but it’s done in great fun. When I created Kate, I wanted her to have as many issues as her patients so I’ve had a lot of fun with her. The poor girl would love to have a “normal” life, but that is not likely to happen, what with the kooky cast of characters surrounding her. Each book stands alone but most of the characters are in all of them.

    What (or who *g*) inspired you to write about a psychologist?

    Not only have I been in therapy, but I married a clinical psychologist. Don’t ever marry a clinical psychologist – you’ll spend the rest of your life in analysis! I wish I’d married a plastic surgeon.

    I’m sure many of us have read the awesome FULL series you wrote with Janet Evanovich. How did that come about and what can you tell us about working with Janet?

    Janet and I have been friends for too many years to count. We both have the same wacky, over-the-top sense of humour so it was relatively easy to write the FULL series. The only problem we had was that I like men with hairy chests and Janet prefers them buff. She said the hero made her think of a Chia pet. So I had to make him less hairy. :)

    I also discovered that you’ve written romantic suspense (adding them to my To Buy list). How different were they to write than your romantic comedies?

    I really loved writing the three “dark” mysteries for Avon although I scared myself at times. I had to do a ton of research and learn about forensics and police procedure, etc., back before that was the rage, but it was fun and challenging. I’m very proud of the books; all three won awards. I guess I proved to myself that I am capable of writing different genres.

    I’m so envious that you live in Beaufort. I love that whole area. If it wasn’t for the hurricanes, it would be perfect. What do you love about living in the south?

    I’ve lived in Beaufort some 16-17 years. I fell in love with the area when my family chose to vacation here many years ago. There are more than 100 antebellum homes and churches that were untouched during the Civil War. The South, as most people think of it, has changed, in that a lot of people from northern locations choose to retire here. Living in Beaufort, the Lowcountry, is pretty laid back. Nobody seems to be in a big hurry. I love being surrounded by marsh and water. To me, it is one of the most beautiful places in the world so it’s no surprise that it is a tourist hotspot as well.

    Now for some fun questions:
    1. Leather or Lace: I much prefer a guy in leather than lace. As for me, I'm not a real girl-girl so I don't wear lace. I mostly wear unattractive pajamas guaranteed to send ice water through a man's loins.

    2. Cowboy, Vampire, or Duke: Plastic surgeon.

    3. Favorite food: Anything that I don't have to cook.

    4. Favorite hunk: My FedEx guy.

    5. Worst thing about being a writer: Having to write.

    6. If you couldn't be a writer, what would you be? A princess.

    Thanks, Charlotte! I know you're in the midst of revisions for your next book in the series (which I'm eagerly awaiting!), so it's great that you could take time to be with us today.

    Now, it's over to our Bandita Buddies. One lucky commenter could win a signed copy of either Nutcase or What Looks Like Crazy. (you'll love either one!).

    Do you have any crazy friends, family members, work colleagues, neighbours? Tell us about them - you can change the names to protect the not-so-innocent if you'd like *g*. If not ... do you prefer hairy or buff chests?


    Source URL: http://plasticsurgerycelebrities.blogspot.com/2009/04/have-laugh-with-charlotte-hughes.html
    Visit plastic surgery celebrities for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive