Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A Frivolous Foray

    by Christine Wells

    I've had a bad week. I've been in the doldrums, a state which not even the ministrations of that magical man with the hands, Sven the Swedish Masseur has been able to alleviate. (Although, I might try his infamous cocktails with the rude names once I've finished this blog.*g*)

    Anyway, to cheer myself up today with your help, I thought I'd indulge in some virtual shopaholicism (no time for the real thing, so virtual it must be).

    Now, I was going to make a list of items in shops I'd like to buy but that was taking frivolity a little too far and it would probably be a little dull, also. I mean, who doesn't want a Prada handbag or a pair of Manolos, right? So I decided to stick with things that other people own.

    I've made a list of 5 THINGS I COVET.

    1. Of all the things in the world, I covet most the Stewart family seal, which is now in the possession of one of my cousins. My maternal grandmother's family were Scottish Stewarts and this exquisite piece of jewelry has been passed down and crossed oceans to Australia. I've only laid eyes on the seal once, and immediately, burningly wanted to have it. It is gold and has a crystal inset with an intaglio of a unicorn. Anyone who knows me understands my love for antiques and this one is even more special because a seal is one of those objects every Regency gentleman had dangling from his waistcoat. I WANT. But, sadly, I will only ever admire from afar.

    2. Georgette Heyer's research notes. Anyone who has read Heyer's excellent Regency romances and knows a little about the writer herself will understand why I would love to get my hands on this treasure trove of meticulously detailed research.

    3. Candice Hern's Regency antique collections. Have a look at Candice's website and you'll see the exquisite pieces she has collected. Candice was kind enough to bring some of her collection to San Francisco last year for us all to drool over. She was lucky to escape the Beau Monde conference without getting mugged--ever so politely, as we Regency enthusiasts are wont to be!

    4. Audrey Hepburn's costume wardrobe. Givenchy used to design those wonderfully elegant creations for my favourite actress of all time. It's amazing how most of these garments have not dated at all. That classic elegance just slays me every time.

    5. Audrey Hepburn's figure. So I could fit into her costume wardrobe, of course!

    Over to you. What do you do when you need cheering up?

    What 5 things do you covet? I've raided my prize cupboard for some goodies and will send a few coveted bits and pieces to one random commenter.Source URL: http://plasticsurgerycelebrities.blogspot.com/2009/02/frivolous-foray.html
    Visit plastic surgery celebrities for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive