Tuesday, August 26, 2008

You, in five words or less

    by Susan Seyfarth

    So I've got marketing on the brain. Websites, specifically. Every published author has one, right? A whole bunch of unpublished writers have them too. You never know when that dream agent or editor might like your latest submission enough to google you. And you never know when The Call is going to come, either.

    The Boy Scouts don't say "Be Prepared" for nothing.

    So in an effort to be ready for success when it comes a-knockin', I decided to research websites. And I discovered something that struck terror into this author's heart.

    Tag lines.

    Oh yes, the dreaded tag line. Take everything that sets your work apart from its competitors, distill it down to three to five words, then make it witty & memorable.

    People can do this. Honest to Pete. Here, want proof? See if you can name the companies that go with the following tag lines:

    1. The Happiest Place on Earth

    2. Finger Lickin' Good

    3. Every Day Low Prices

    I bet you knew all of them, didn't you? (And if you didn't, check the comments trail. I'll bet somebody has mentioned them all by now.)

    Now how does this apply to your favorite writers? My tour of writers' websites garnered these beauties, the ones that left me both satisfied with a job well done & kind of pissed that such a good tag line was now off the market.

    Susan Donovan--Brain Candy for Smart Women
    Kristan Higgins--Real Life. True Love. Lots of Laughs.
    Jane Porter--Classic Romance. Modern Lit.

    So I sat down to think about my goals. When I write a novel, what am I trying to do? What's the experience I want to provide for the reader? What should my books be like? Here's what I came up with:

    Honest.

    Emotional.

    Amusing.

    It's taken me some time to figure out these aren't the easiest qualities to keep in balance. I mean, I can do honest & emotional. I can do honest & amusing. I can even do emotional & amusing, depending on what kind of emotion we're talking about.

    But try keeping the emotion raw & honest & see how easy it is to get the chuckle. Geez. I'm sweating just thinking about it. Susan Elizabeth Phillips does this beautifully, but I noticed her website doesn't venture into Tag Line Land, so no guidance there.

    Bottom line? I'm totally stuck here & thought I'd see what the rest of you are doing.

    So, now it's your turn! What's your brand? Do you have a tag line? (For your writing or even yourself.) Three to five words (preferably witty & memorably, mind you) that sums you (or your writing) up in a neat, bite-sized chunk? Let's hear them!
    Source URL: http://plasticsurgerycelebrities.blogspot.com/2008/08/you-in-five-words-or-less.html
    Visit plastic surgery celebrities for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive