Friday, March 6, 2009

Spring Ahead!


    By Kirsten Scott

    My apologies to those of you (Susan!) still buried under multiple inches of snow. The picture to the right is my forsythia bush, in proud display of the first new blooms of the year. That little bush has a secret to tell me. 

    It's almost here. 

    Spring.  

    I'm a huge fan of spring. I love the metaphor of it, the rebirth after the long winter, the resurrection and opportunity to believe again in life after so much darkness. I love the daffodils, the tulips, and the crocuses. The tiny, pale green leaves on the trees are like magic after a long cold winter. Here in the Pacific NW, spring comes much earlier than it did when I lived in Buffalo. By March, our spring bulbs are pushing through the earth and finding their way to sunlight. By April, the tulips are getting ready to bloom. It will still be cold and rainy for months to come, but the spell of winter is broken and we are our way toward the glory of summer. 

    Of course, spring isn't just about the garden. There are lots of other fun things about spring. There's the days getting longer, so we can finally come home from work and school in the light and have time to play outside before going to bed. There's the warmth that allows us to get out for our afternoon walks and hikes. Putting away the thick sweaters and pulling out the t-shirts. Getting out of the car and onto the bike. The first trip to Dairy Queen of the season.

    This year, I think we're all ready for the optimism, the rebirth and the renewal that spring offers. I'm looking forward to this spring more than I have for years. I'm ready to watch things grow. I'm ready to plant some seeds and see what sprouts. I'm ready to lie in the sun like a cat and feel it in my bones.

    So what are you looking forward to this spring? Gardening? Easter candy? (Joanie, I know those Peeps are calling you!) Baseball? I'd love to hear your stories -- especially stories about your gardens! And what do you think of my pussy willows? Gorgeous, right? :-) Source URL: http://plasticsurgerycelebrities.blogspot.com/2009/03/spring-ahead.html
    Visit plastic surgery celebrities for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive