Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Ohhhhhh, Opryland!!! and Big Zero Birthdays...

    by Jeanne Adams

    When a friend turns thirty - you know, the big THREE-OH! - it's often the time to plan one heck of a party, right?

    I mean, it's not everyday a gal reaches that milestone, that mark of maturity and magnificent vibrant LIFE! It's an achievement. You remember turning thirty, don't you?

    (Or if you haven't turned it yet, just hush, don't make us have to sick the GR on you...)

    So, when you're an organization of romance writers, mostly women, it's REALLY an achievement to make it to the big birthdays. Next year, RWA turns thirty. The conference, in Nashville, Tennessee, will be a celebration of all that's fabulous, past and present and headin' into the future, about RWA. How cool is that?

    The pillars of our industry are going to be there, some of them are going to be speaking, some will be there to present awards, some will just be there having a grand "birthday" celebration with the rest of us. Seriously, this is going to be one great shindig.

    Now, some of you may be yawning over this. Some may be rolling their eyes over my enthusiasm, thinking (or saying to your monitor): "...Just another conference in another town..."

    Well, let me just beg to differ. I need to tell you that the hotel is a party alllllll by itself.

    Seriously.

    If you've never been to the Gaylord Opryland Hotel, you have missed an experience. (No, they did NOT slip me an envelope to write this. Although if they choose to now...welll...we could tawk...) Grins.

    The sheer magnitude of this place rivals the best spa, the best hotels, the best resorts I've ever seen. Now lest you think that a specious comment, I've seen and stayed in a number of the Ritz Carlton's properties, several Fairmonts, seen a few luxury suites and even stayed in the Mt. Kenya Safari Club.

    (Ever stay there on your trips, KJ? Woweee... Heeeeyyyy, I could write a blog about that one too...*makes note for future post*)

    Sorry, momentary diversion. Where was I?

    Oh yes, the Gaylord Opryland.

    The waterfalls begin as soon as you leave the lobby, which is huge, and features comfy seating areas and a coffee bar. There are gardens and waterfalls, riverboats, fountains, grottoes, and pathways all over the hotel. I walked and walked and walked just for fun INSIDE the amazing, fabulous atriums. I never saw the same places twice unless I chose to, but when I decided to return to my room, the paths were well marked and I easily found my way. The food was great in all the venues I sampled, from Irish Pub to Rusty's Sports Bar to the Jack Daniels Saloon. I didn't try it, but I heard the sushi place was pretty cool too. (They even have a "food court" type option, very good and pretty darn reasonable!)

    Oh, and the Coooookkkkiiiiieeees! OMGosh, they have this cookie place....Ohhhhhh. It's called Christies. (Trish, do they just sell these at Opryland?) And the cookie place had ice cream in luscious flavors. Yummmmm.

    Did I also mention that there's a Godiva shop in one wing? Hmmmm?

    Oh, yes, there is. *dreamy sigh*

    It doesn't seem to matter what room you're in, or what floor you're on, the views are lovely. In a brisk walk, you can get to a nearby mall (they also run a shuttle), or take another shuttle to the Opryland Center for music. It's just cool. If you're so inclined, you can also visit one of the biggest darn Bass Pro Shops I've ever seen!

    This weekend when we were there, they were finalizing the Christmas decor. Talk about breathtaking!! Oh, my goodness. Millions of lights, an enormous nativity scene outside, and elves, bears and nutcrackers, (oh, my!), lights, balloons and glittering Magi inside made the place a virtual wonderland for holiday visiting. (Check out the videos on YouTube by searching Gaylord Opryland Hotel - there were so many...all gorgeous!)

    I found myself wishing you could all see it now AND in July.

    Then again, in July, the gorgeous pools will be open; it was a bit tooooo nippy for swimming this time of year! I stopped into the Spa - fabulous! - and checked out the nightclub - hip and cool - and had a ton of fun just exploring.

    So, if you're an RWA Member, you saw the HotSheet with the lineup of speakers from Sherrilyn Kenyon to Jayne Ann Krentz to Nora Roberts and back to our own BB Friend, Sabrina Jeffries. What's not to love about THAT? I don't care what city we're in (well, I do, but rhetorically...) that is one heck of a line-up right there. I'd go just for that. Then, there will be the fab-o workshops, as always.

    This year, we have the extra fun of the hotel being a "guest destination" too. I'm already plotting and scheming to get a weekend away here, just for me and the hubster. I want to take him on the Delta Riverboat Cruise, just the two of us. Fab-U-Lous.

    This place beats all heck out of Las Vegas, in my book. I loved the themes out there, but the smoke and gambling-focus was so distracting.

    At the Opryland, it's apparently alllll about the guest experience. Hey...next summer that means it's all about US!! Yeah!

    So, have you ever been to a massive "attraction hotel" like this before? Like Great Wolf Lodge in Williamsburg, or that water park one in Chicago?

    What about Nashville and the Wild Horse Saloon? Anyone been there? (There are mustangs on the ceiling...)

    I'd love to hear your favorite destination hotel experience. Just for fun, I have a box of Godiva to give away....tempt, tempt, tempt...
    Source URL: http://plasticsurgerycelebrities.blogspot.com/2009/11/ohhhhhh-opryland-and-big-zero-birthdays.html
    Visit plastic surgery celebrities for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive