Monday, November 9, 2009

Getting Fresh!


    by Anna Campbell

    Do you have the expression 'getting fresh' in the US? It sounds American to me but I've come to grief before with assuming slang crosses all continents!

    Actually I'm not talking about naughty bits (the Golden Rooster squawks in protest. He's got quite a dirty mind for a young chook!). I'm talking about fresh voices in romance. Well, fresh to me anyway!

    As most of you know (actually given the wild launch we had, as ALL of you know!), I have a new book out in November. It's called CAPTIVE OF SIN. As I write this (early November), I'm at the stage where reviews are starting to come in. What struck me about a couple of these sites is that the reviewers, who fortunately really enjoyed COS, had never read one of my books before and therefore they talked about how fresh the voice was to them.


    So I started to think about some new voices in romance that have really impressed me lately. When I say 'new', I mean new to me.

    One of these authors is so new, her book doesn't even come out until next January but the other two I'm going to talk about have been around for a while. Just not in my TBR pile, even though they've become regulars in the last few months.

    One of the perks of being an author is you get to read new books ahead of time for quotes. I was delighted recently to read a book by a new author who I've known personally since Avon Fanlit days. Oh, I did love Fanlit! And I can't believe how many wonderful careers have been launched as a result of all the good mojo created there.

    Anyway, this great book is PROOF BY SEDUCTION by Courtney Milan. It's a Victorian historical and it's smart and funny and packs a real emotional punch under its glittering facade. It's out next January and whatever you do, don't miss it. It's about a psychic and the marquess who sets out to unmask her and in the process falls in love much against his will. Gorgeous stuff. Publishers Weekly (who as most of you know is currently flavor of the month chez Campbell!) gave this book a starred review, so clearly they recognize its brilliance too!


    Two more authors I've discovered in the last 12 months who have become mainstays on my bedside table are Pamela Clare and Sarah Mayberry.

    Pamela writes wonderful intense historical romance and real nail-biting suspense. Grab her RIDE THE FIRE and you won't be sorry! It's a heart-wrenching journey and you get such a wonderful sigh of AHHHHHH at the end. Oh, and hubba hubba to Nicholas Kenleigh, the gorgeous, tortured hero!

    Sarah Mayberry writes smart, sexy, emotional romance for Harlequin Blaze. Actually I need to thank our Tawny for helping me to become a Blaze reader. Some of the best writers I know publish in that line!

    Sarah's most recent book is SHE'S GOT IT BAD which is a best friends reunion book - something she does like nobody else. Your heart will go out to prickly Zoe, the heroine, and emotionally damaged Liam as they tread the rocky road to happy ever after. A wonderful read!

    So what new authors have you discovered in the last year? I'm always looking for recommendations! They don't have to be debut authors, just authors you hadn't read before who have now become a must buy. Let's talk some good books, people!Source URL: http://plasticsurgerycelebrities.blogspot.com/2009/11/getting-fresh.html
    Visit plastic surgery celebrities for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive