Sunday, October 12, 2008

Ain't Your Grandma's Country Music

    Joan

    I'm here today my fellow Americans to campaign for a better understanding and acceptance of country music.
    Thunk.

    Ok, who just fell over aghast at the thought? I know it wasn't the GR because he has a thing for Taylor Swift :-)

    Seriously, today's country music has a little bit of everything: a deep, well established history and evolution through multiple musical genres. I kind of "knew" some of this but in preparing this blog post I looked up some basic info. ( A disclaimer. I do not purport to be a scholar nor am I a musician and any insights from our BB's with more knowledge are wholeheartedly welcome.)

    The roots of modern country music started in the 1920's through the 1950's with a blend of different sounds. Honky Tonk heralded the freedom that came from the end of prohibition when the average person could finally relax with a cold brew and enjoy their favorite music of steel guitars and drums. Hank Williams characterized this sound. Come on. Even if you are not a big fan, how many of you can say you don't know the beginning to "Your Cheatin' Heart"?

    The western-country music touched a chord with the sense of pioneer spirit ala Gene Autry. I did not include a link but add a little swing to the mix and you have another of my fav bands Asleep at the Wheel. Rockabilly gained popularity in the 50's and 60's with..yes...Elvis but also Jerry Lee Lewis and a handful of others.

    The Nashville Sound was the seed behind the classic music brought to the National arena by a little show sent out nationally on the radio called the Grand Ole Opry. Chet Akins and his guitar and the dulcet sounds of Patsy Cline.

    Country music began to change in the late 60's with the additon of orchestras, a more promient melding of other genre overlays ala Outlaws Willie and Waylon (and the boys) and rock influences. Did you know the Rolling Stones had a crossover hit with Honky Tonk Woman?
    So that brings us to today, to the music I listen to the most. The songs that reach out to me touching my heart, stirring laughter, promoting pride in a belief, a viewpoint or just making me want to dance. (Note to Posh: Making me WANT to and actually having the NERVE to are two separate issues. Plus my friend convinced me the DJ in Atlanta wasn't likely to play "Honky Tonk Badonkadonk").

    Trace Adkins song "Songs About Me" sums it up nicely.


    There's something really HAWT about a guy with a Stetson........

    Oh, sorry....I went to my happy place. Singing. Yeah, he sings good too :-)

    Shania Twain is a vibrant cross over artist whose roots are in the country market but whose amazing style remakes the image of country music. I like a lot of her songs, but this one is a favorite. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWNtLt-pJik
    (If the Shania link does not take you straight to the video, enter "She's Not Just A Pretty Face" in the search box)



    A fluke that she included "romance novelist" in her list of great female accomplishments? I think not.

    I have to include a tribute to our Aussie friends and plus...well, I have a thing for Keith Urban :-)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeXWkN_EHF4







    Aren't these lyrics at the heart of many of our heroes? And if the hero is barefoot in a pair of jeans...all the better :-)

    So, if you're a country fan already who are your favorite stars? Favorite songs? What would be the title of your own personal country song? And if you aren't I hope you listened to the lyrics and found that SOME of the songs just might be a "Song About You."
    Source URL: http://plasticsurgerycelebrities.blogspot.com/2008/10/ain-your-grandma-country-music.html
    Visit plastic surgery celebrities for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive