Friday, December 4, 2009

Gifts Worth Giving


    By Kirsten Scott

    It's the time of year to rush around to stores and click that mouse as fast as you can to try to find that PERFECT GIFT for that hard-to-please someone. I love my lists, so I start making them well before Thanksgiving, and work off them throughout Black Friday and the rest of December. I've got stocking stuffers on one list, presents for the kids and husband on another, presents that need to be mailed by the middle of December (to make it across county in time for the big day!), hostess presents, and those extra gifts you just need to have in the closet in case someone gives you something and you didn't pick out anything in return.

    But of course, for many of us, money is tight this year. Buying the perfect present gives way to buying something -- anything. We are desperate to make sure there will be a present under the tree, or a brightly-colored package to hand over at the gift exchange. That's why Target did so well with its three dollar blenders and crockpots at Black Friday. No one really needed all those crockpots. You go to any Goodwill and you'll find ten of them, all lined up and waiting to be purchased for $1.99. But everyone wants a gift to wrap. If it only costs three dollars, even better.

    Now I'm the first to say I love presents. Love them. I love to open them, love having a new sparkly pair of earrings or a Christmas sweater. I am remarkably good at suggesting presents for my husband to buy me. I can come up with ten things I'd enjoy without thinking. (New Norah Jones CD, leg warmers, a fuzzy pair of socks, pretty necklace, new fleece jammies...but I digress...) But I know that's not what the season is about. And that's not what this blog is about.

    This blog is about those other gifts. The ones that are actually worth giving. Unlike the crockpot, candleholders, bath salts, and smelly lotion. Not that there's anything wrong with bath salts and smelly lotions. They're on the list for the husband, too. But we all know that on December 26th, they'll just get mixed in with all the rest of crap that is filling our closets, medicine chests, and cupboards. It's really just more stuff.

    So what would be a gift worth giving?

    How about the gift of solace; how about holding a friend's hand when she grieves. One of the Banditas gave that gift recently and keeps giving it. That's a miracle of a gift.

    How about the gift of an hour to have coffee with an old friend? Someone gave me that gift recently. We have been friends for years, but lately keep missing each other and canceling our coffee hours. But last week we each put down our respective foot and said no more broken dates. It was a gesture of love, on both our parts, to give up that precious hour, and it was totally worth it.

    So Banditas and Buddies -- any gifts worth giving in your life? Any that you've given recently, or plan to give? Or, like me, did someone give you a gift this holiday season? A gift of time, love, or caring? I'm always looking for new gift ideas, so please, let me know if you've got a good one!
    Source URL: http://plasticsurgerycelebrities.blogspot.com/2009/12/gifts-worth-giving.html
    Visit plastic surgery celebrities for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive